The Armenian National Prelacy
The Armenian National Prelacy
| According to the historical data, The Armenian National Prelacy, Diocese of Aleppo has founded between1499 and 1500,By charity of a well-know person in Armenian Aleppo Colony called Erayis Baron Yesayi. In the same churchyard of Saint Forty Martyrs Armenian Apostolic church has also built "The Royal Palace", in other words The Armenian Prelacy which has first described by the traveler Simeon Lehiatsi, in 1616.|
In the first quarter of the Sixteenth Century, the prelacy expanded and served as a temporary chair for Catholicos of Sis.
In the following days, the prelacy has been always a place where the metropolitans and the people of Diocese have paid attention and take care. so it has exposed to reorganizations, reparations and amendment improvements. Although a lot of changes occurred in the building of the Prelacy during this period, it has always been located in the churchyard since 1970.It is mentionable that the deported (exiled) Sahag II Khabayan Catholicos of Cilicia with a few clergymen have taken a refuge first in Beirut then in Aleppo City. This prelacy has been the head quarters of the spiritual and administrative activities.
By intention to satisfy the gradually increasing needs of Diocese. Today's modern building has built in 1970 which has spread and enlarged between 1988 and 1989.
Archbishop Ardavast Suermeyan who was one of the Metropolitans of Diocese said " Since the ancient times the National Prelacy is not only an institution by itself but by its Material and spiritual unsufficient forces has been able to give satisfaction to the people of Diocese and to keep the flame of love and honesty of Armenian church in the people's heart”. Actually, from the beginning of the second half of the 19-th century when the National ecclesiastic life of Diocese has reorganized according to the National Constitution's dispositions, the life of the Armenian Colony has flourished in the National, ecclesiastical, cultural, public and educational fields.
In the beginning of the 20th Century, that is the days of Armenian GENOCIDE, the National Prelacy has had a fated role, when Aleppo City and its regions have converted to the biggest (largest) community Centre for the deported Armenians. The churchyard of Saint Forty Martyrs Armenian Apostolic church is the most vital evidence to the Suffering exiled people. Whereas, after the last days of the Armenian Cilicia the prelacy has helped the Armenian emigrants to return homeland.
Later, after the Armenian GENOCIDE and by different activities of the national Prelacy, the Armenian Aleppo Community has lived a prosperous period. It is still notable the national prelacy's grateful effect during the Armenian's immigration to homeland between 1945 and 1946.
Finally the national Prelacy's attitude toward the Syrian government's plan in the 20th century 1960s for the use of governmental curriculum at private schools of the community, prevented the Armenian schools from closing the door. whereas in 1970s during the civil war of Lebanon it has embodied the Armenian Syrians material and moral aids to the Lebanese.
The mutual-relations between Diocese of Aleppo and hometown(fatherland) have always been warm and lovely and it has become more notable in December in 1987,during the fatal earthquake in Armenia when his Supremacy Archbishop Souren Kataroyan the Metropolitan of Diocese of Aleppo has sent aids on the part of Armenian Syrians to the victims. He has also operated to establish the Consulate of Armenian Republic in Aleppo ,on 28th May in 1993.
Nowadays ,artists ,intellectuals and national activists from Armenia are almost always in Aleppo ,or elsewhere. They give hand to the development the national and cultural lives and vise-versa to make the fatherland a lively truth in the people's life. In a word ,the National Prelacy is considered the first place of appointments to the visitors of homeland.
The grateful visit of his Holiness Karekin II Catholicos of All Armenians and His Holiness Aram I Catholicos of Cilicia to Aleppo and Der-Zor ,in 2001,is the most beautiful events in the history of Diocese of Aleppo.
Under the leadership of Metropolitans and the national authorities the National Prelacy as a community seat has always respectful relations with the hospitable hometown of Syrian authority, enjoying their unreserved trust and respect.
Finally, the National Armenian Prelacy by adopting (taking) the National constitution, tries his best to supply the different (various) needs of the Armenian people by its extensive achievements and hopeful organs(members).